When I have this summery spaghetti bolognese For the first time at Food24, I saw Bits of Carey and I knew it was awesome. Spaghetti Bolognese is not only the staple of all mothers, but also has a level of comfort that can not be easily achieved by anything else. Noodles in all shapes and forms are just comfortable, right?
I always filled my Spag Bol with vegetables to increase the daily intake of my family. I always add ALWAYS fresh carrots, onions and garlic. Sometimes peas and corn, sometimes green beans or broccoli. But when I saw Carey with fresh baby spinach and rocket, I almost cried. There is no better way to make this normally wintery dish perfect for the summer than to refine it with fresh and aromatic leafy vegetables.
I did not stick to Carey's recipe, not because there's anything wrong with that, far from it, but because I rarely care about prescriptions. I knew that my portion of chili peppers would have chopped (as always) and although my heart melts at the thought of spaghetti with a good grid of ripe cheddar on top, I thought the goat cheese would add a nice spiciness and creaminess. But you decide best, which is the best. So you have to do that a few times. Ohhhh. Just think about it with feta. mmmmmm ….
I've also added some fresh parsley with rocket and spinach just because I like the taste so much, but I can also use leafy vegetables. Just make sure you stir it in when you throw the pasta and sauce together. In this way, it gets just warm enough, but keeps the fresh and lively taste and color.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped / grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500 g of lean ground beef
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped / 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved / 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin (115 g) tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander and paprika
- 2 tbsn bovril
- 500 ml of water (or replace 500 ml of bovine broth with Bovril and water)
- Season salt & pepper
- 500g Fettucini, cooked
- fresh rocket, fresh baby spinach, fresh Italian parsley (1-2 handful each)
- Goat cheese / ripe cheddar / feta to serve
- In a large saucepan fry the onions and carrots in 2 tablespoons of oil until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic cloves and fry them for another minute. Add the minced meat and break it open with a fork / spoon.
- Brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and spices. Stir to combine everything.
- Add the broth and water, mix and turn down the heat. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Throw the boiled noodles with the sauce and leafy vegetables.
- Serve with a pinch of cheese and chopped chili if desired.